Thursday, January 31, 2013

http://modernhomosexuality.weebly.com/media.html

The article I found this week talks about the modernization of homosexuality in the media. I found this article to be a good starting point to what I am going to be talking about for most of my blogs.Throughout the article the author talks about how on television, in the music industry, and major people involved in the production of media are homosexual and are being embarrassed for it. A huge example brought up in the article is about Ellen Degeneres and how she has her own show for the last 10 years, she has one of the most famous daytime television shows. Before the 21st century having an open homosexual on TV would be frowned upon let alone having a homosexual person hosting their own show. This article goes on to talk about Modern Family and The Office and how they depict homosexual lifestyles in a positive fashion; the basis for Modern Family is about three "modern" families and how they go about their daily lives. Having a homosexual couple included as being a "modern" family just shows how far the homosexual movement has come in the media. Reading this article is making me eager to continue researching this topic and giving you more information. But for now, I would say that this article is a good place to start.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is an interesting topic and one that is very timely. There is a whole new movement to accept everyone and it is nice that there are more openings for subjects like this. And I love Ellen so I like that she is able to have her show! It should only matter if they are a good host or actor. I also was thinking that about 40ish years ago there were no available TV jobs for blacks or anyone like that. Now that is no big deal but homosexuals are still shunned sometimes. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input! I agree I think it should solely be based on whether or not they are a good host, not on their sexuality or race. Thinking back to decades earlier even women were barely allowed to be on television, so it is interesting to see how far women and blacks have come. We can only hope that in the near future homosexuals will not be frowned upon for being either on TV or in the movies and they will be properly portrayed.

      Delete