Friday, March 1, 2013

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57373794/jcpenney-ceo-on-ellen-degeneres-controversy/



My article this week is about a famous gay woman, Ellen DeGeneres. Last year, she was the spokesperson for JCPenny to help rebuild the customer base. The company was all for having Ellen be their spokesperson but there was this one organization known as, One Million Moms, that was entirely against Ellen. They said  JCP was "jumping on the pro-gay bandwagon",  but JCPenny's CEO stood behind Ellen 100%. They loved her views and were happy to share it throughout their company. The CEO said,"And we think Ellen represents the values of our compant and the values that we share", they're very supportive of Ellen and they don't see using her as a spokesperson isn't controversial at all. 

When Ellen heard what the, One Million Moms, had to say she wasn't surprised. She's had "haters" since the time that she came out. She called them out during one of her episodes and said, "And normally I try not to pay attention to my haters, but this time I'd like to talk about it because my haters are my motivators. This organization doesn't think I should be the spokesperson because I am gay." I think Ellen handled this in the right way because she let everyone know that there was a "controversy" with her being the JCPenny spokesperson and she addressed the matter with her response. She didn't attack the group she just made her point clear and said that JCPenny stuck by her and didn't fire her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment